The Chinese Society of Traditional Chinese Medicine was approved by the leadership of the State Council on December 18, 2000 to change its name from the Chinese Society of Management of Traditional Chinese Medicine Enterprise after 2 years preparation since 1999, under the document of No.2, category of NGO and Social Group of the Ministry of Civil Affairs. The Conference to celebrate the establishment was convened on May 20, 2001 in the Great Hall of the People. The Chinese Society of Traditional Chinese Medicine is the prestigious legal person representing the sector of traditional Chinese medicine in China.
The Mission of the Society is to serve for the sector of traditional Chinese medicine, to safeguard the legitimate right of the members of the Society, to promote the standardization and the development, to propagate the culture of Chinese medicine and to better satisfy the need of the people.
The tasks of the Chinese Society of Traditional Chinese Medicine are as followed:
(1) to reflect the demand of the members of the Society, to coordinate the relationship of the members and to safeguard the legitimate right of the members,
(2) to conduct the investigation and research on the economic development of industry of traditional Chinese medicine and the regional development of traditional Chinese medicine, and to make proposals and recommendations to the government on the development program, legislation and major economic policies,
(3) to study the trend of the market development, and to collect, stat，sort, analyze and feedback the production, commodity circulation, finance and prices of the traditional Chinese medicine and other basic information, to edit publications and magazines for the Society and to strengthen information exchanges,
(4) to conduct counseling services, to provide information on the technical and economic issues from home and abroad, to conduct management technology exchanges and economic cooperation among domestic and international medical and pharmaceutical sectors,
(5) to carry out the work on technical counseling , technical services, promotion and application as well as the transaction of the technical accomplishments in the field of traditional Chinese medicine, to organize the promotion and the application of new products, new crafts and technology, new equipments and materials and to organize shows and exhibition and technical exchanges among the professional institutions,
(6) to conduct friendly interaction and technical exchanges and cooperation among NGOs of international societies in the field of traditional Chinese medicine,
(7) to conduct staff training, technical and professional training for the traditional Chinese medicine enterprises, to provide guidance to the enterprises for new concepts and upgrade the management level,
(8) to be involved in the formulating, revising the technical standards and the technical levels (qualification) for the professional staff and to facilitate government organizations for the implementation of the standards,
(9) to set up mechanism for self discipline and ethic norms and other standards on the management for the sector, to consolidate and coordinate the prices and to safeguard the fair competition in the sector, to promote honest and trust operation in doing business and maintain the economic order of the market, to organize evaluation in the sector and commend outstanding entrepreneurs， to promote the quality service and provide the conduct code, to upgrade the morality and ideological qualification of the sector,
(10) to strengthen the business contact and working exchanges with the local sector association, to play the role of integrated function of management in the sector,
(11) according to the rules and regulations of WTO, to facilitate the members in dealing with the international trade disputes,
(12) to share other responsibility and carry out relevant tasks referred by the government.